POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Lighting : Re: Lighting Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:28:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lighting
From: Dan P
Date: 6 Feb 2004 00:01:17
Message: <40231f9d$1@news.povray.org>
"Felbrigg" <som### [at] microsoftcom> wrote in message
> Where to begin?
>
> The second coloured light, had me foxed at first, I couldn't see the
> difference until I opened "before" and "after" side by side in paint shop.
> It does improove the scene - Good Tip.

Thanks :-)

> Specular highlighting, hmm,  rendered it despite my misgivings and at
first
> I thought I was right and you were wrong, again, side by side in Paint
shop
> and WOW, it is better, you were right.  It gives better definition to the
> spill, allowing the liquids edge to look truely curved.

The higher the specular value, the more defined the highlight becomes.

> Coffee colouring, nice.  I'd tried rgbf and rgbt but you hit me with a new
> one there, rgbft, again WOW.
>
> Reflection and specular on the table, didn't see that one coming.  Took me
> while to see a difference, It seems to have made the light source have a
> sharper definition on the table top.  Is that it?  Can you give me any
> pointers as to why you suggested this, what am I missing?

It added a highlight to the table. The trick is that it makes the surface
look less uniform.

> I'm struggling with this lighting stuff,  so much of it seems
> counter-intuitive to me.  Your pointers have been really eye - opening.
> Thanks very much.

No problem! :-)

> P.S. I see from your other posts your a 'C' man.  Scary stuff, the nearest
> I've got to that is C# what I call "the laymans C".  Do you know if it
> possible to use C# to fire off PovRay like (i think) Moray does.  I've
often
> thought about writing a Win32 app to automate some animation experiments,
> thus freeing me from the clock and frames constraints.

Sure, you can fire off POV-ray with pretty much any language -- it's just a
matter of running pvengine.exe. My job allows me to do a lot of different
programming languages so I get a really different perspective sometimes.

I'm glad I was able to help and I really liked that scene! It would be the
perfect scene for a tutorial too.